Monday, August 07, 2006

Third and Hopefully Last Siren of the Day

More Damage from One of Yesterday's Missiles

On our way to a friend's house, I told her about the eyes. When I was in Tel Aviv, I could tell apart the locals from displaced Northerners because their faces had on such different expressions. The Northerners have sad eyes. People in Haifa don't smile as much as they did before. There is tension, depression, anxiety, and fear in our faces.
Shortly after we arrived at my friend's house, the air raid warning sounded once again, around 8:00 PM. This is the first time I actually ran to a bomb shelter during an alarm. Usually I stay in my apartment. I don't think I could make it to the local, public bomb shelter on time so I don't bother. It's safer to stay at home than to go out running into the street after a siren has sounded. But my friend's apartment building actually has a bomb shelter on the bottom floor. Her dog already knows the drill - upon hearing the siren, he went to stand beside the door so that she could take him downstairs. In the shelter, we met some of her neighbours: a young couple with three little girls. They're all used to meeting up in the shelter. We think we heard a boom or two.
Since there usually aren't any more missiles after sunset, I'm hoping that this was the last alarm of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is so sad...

There is only one solution, and that is to wake up. The Lubavitcher Rebbe explains it best. You can read those soothing words at the new website,

www.thetruthaboutisrael.org